What You Need to Know About Car Insurance in Austin, TX

Moving to Austin, TX, or purchasing a car there for the first time? You’re probably wondering what type of car insurance you’ll need. While Texas Law mandates liability coverage, you may have to obtain additional coverage depending upon your situation. For example, if you take out a car loan, you may need to add comprehensive and collision coverage to your policy.

Purchasing a Vehicle

If you currently live in Austin, TX, and recently purchased a new or replacement vehicle, you may not need to take out a new policy right away. You can transfer your existing policy to a replacement vehicle if you’ve traded in your old one. However, you’ll want to check with your insurance agent to make sure your existing policy meets coverage requirements for the replacement vehicle. When you purchase a new, additional car, it will be covered by your current policy for 20 days.  

Coverage Types

Car insurance policies in Austin, TX, available from agencies like TAB Insurance Agency, LLC, can contain one or more coverage types. Those types include:

  • Liability
  • Collision
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Roadside assistance and towing
  • Comprehensive
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist

Before making a decision on which types of coverages to add to your policy, you’ll want to speak to an insurance agent about your situation and needs. If you’ve taken out a car loan, check with your lender for coverage requirements. If you decide only to take out liability coverage on your vehicle, Texas Law requires a minimum of 30/60/25 coverage. This includes $30,000 for injuries, $60,000 for each accident, and $25,000 for property damages. 

Ready to learn more about your car insurance options? Contact TAB Insurance Agency, LLC now!